The stalemate of religious government and the set of political and social conditions have made the transition from the Islamic Republic to the establishment of a democratic government, a national necessity for Iran. In this path, our common goal is to achieve freedom, democracy, social justice, prosperity and security by empowerment, expansion and solidarity of social, civil and non-violent movements.
For political guidance and achievement of these goals, widespread solidarity and alignment of all democracy seeking forces, movement leaders, political, cultural, scientific and social activists, it is necessary to jointly promote advancement of the most appropriate management of this transitional period.
Furtherance of this great national and non-partisan duty, especially with the plurality and variety of social and political forces in Iran, necessitates a pluralistic and widespread transition management. The participants must be committed to transition from the Islamic Republic to a democratic secular government based on the “Universal Declarations of Human Rights”, the preservation of territorial integrity and unity of the country. Moreover, decisions such as the type and political structure of the future system of government, shall be left to the post Islamic Republic “Constituent Assembly” as the true embodiment of the free will of the people.
A Constituent Assembly formed by a free, fair and competitive election of its members, shall formulate a new constitution and put to a final vote in a general referendum.
In order to achieve the historical aspirations and common goals of the Iranian people, in a distinguished and transparent language, we declare our commitment to the following fundamental actions and values, in a proposal subject to completion and elaborations. By widespread participation of experts, scholars and political activists, may this document not only serve as a joint covenant and observant of the actions of the “Management Council for Transition from the Islamic Republic”, but part of the values contemplated during compilation of the new constitution of Iran by the future Constituent Assembly.
Iran Transition Council Fundamantal Actions and Values
- Establishment of a Representative Secular Democracy. In such a system, regardless of its format, the governance is neither inheritary nor divine or derived from any persuasions, ideologies, compulsions or powers above the will of the citizens. Governance is a national right of all Iranian Citizens. All principal authorities in the institutions with power, are to be elected by the vote and election of the people or their representatives. The type of political structure of the state will be determined by the free will of the people by the elected Constituent Assembly. In the new constitution, formidable remedies must also be considered for perfection and revisions of the constitution.
- Separation of institutes of religion from the government; the neutrality of the government towards the religious beliefs and faiths of the residents. Lack of official religion and non-reliance of the laws of the country on religious decrees.
- Independence of the three branches of the government and especially creation of a capable judicial branch, independent of any political and security power or coercion; and the rights of the society of the attorneys of the judiciary to participate in the certification of judicial authorities and the guarantee of the rights of the residents to choose an independent lawyer in legal and judicial matters.
- Elimination of any type of discrimination and recognition of the political, social and cultural rights of the ethnic groups of Iran. Recognition of the right to education in own language alongside the Persian language. Structuring of the administration of the state based on the principle of decentralization (entrusting of maximum possible administrative affairs and the use of development budgets to local institutions and elected bodies). The decision on the most appropriate form of political structure in this regard will be made by the elected members of Constituent Assembly.
- Reliance on effective ways to prevent re-production of dictatorship, especially by adherence to a secular democracy based on freedom of political parties, as well as reliance on the public votes on grand demands and national and social matters.
- Reliance on civil and non-violent forms of political and social struggles.
- Economic development and establishment of social justice in accordance with the United Nations “Sustainable Development Goals”. Promoting welfare and social security, Ensuring quality free basic education. Honorable employment and support for deprived citizens. Prioritizing the development and progress of the under developed regions of the country.
- Ensuring that all citizens enjoy the rights to welfare (food, clothing, housing), physical and mental health, appropriate health care, social services and insurances.
- Complete commitment to all international agreements regarding the protection of the environment and a legal guarantee for the protection of Iran’s natural habitat as a matter of priority. Recognition of Climate Change as the number one global emergency threatening the survival of life on earth, and the commitment of Iran to maximum effort at preventing Climate Change.
- Formulation of the country’s foreign policies on national interests, peaceful coexistence and conventional relationships with all countries, especially with the neighbors on the basis of mutual respect and international laws and conventions. The advocacy of regional and global peace and recognition of international laws and treaties adopted by the United Nations. Avoiding politics of conflict, hostility and sectarian policies in the region and international arena.
- Defending the independence and integrity of the country. Realization of a self-determined foreign and domestic policy. Efforts to win the general public and the international community for the democracy-seeking movements in Iran